top of page

Got a Problem?

Chicagoans are the eyes and ears of their neighborhoods. Please use Open311's new web form to report the most popular complaints. You can also upload a photo! The more issues reported, the better City departments can deliver. If your complaint is not listed on Open311, submit your complaint at the City's full-service 311 system. Or just call us at 773-395-0143.

Below are the top issues in the ward.  Instructions on how to report these issues--and how to avoid them--are also explained.

  • Graffiti

  • Missing Blue or Black Garbage Can

  • Rodent Baiting & Garbage in Alleys

  • Tree Trim, Tree Debris Pickup & Emerald Ash Borer

  • Trash on Property (Sanitation Violation)

  • Abandoned Vehicle

  • Potholes

  • Water Still Standing on Street/Water in Basement


Is the graffiti a gang sign? If so, please report it as such.
Answer the following questions in order to complete your 311 request on-line:

  • Is it sprayed on a building, sign, garbage can or tree? 

  • Is the material wood, siding or brick? 

  • Is it above or below 6 feet?



If your blue cart or black plastic garbage cart is missing, it can be replaced. You must let us know how many carts are missing, and how many carts you have remaining at the address. We also need to know the approximate date when you first noticed the cart missing.


Rats and dirty alleys go together.  Garbage in alleys, open dumpsters, and open garbage cans increase the rat population. The City will bait both your alley and your backyard, if you request.
Call our office to report garbage-filled alleys.  We will issue sanitation violations to the property owners.  You can file a sanitation violation yourself using Chicago311.

  • If you have a dog, pick up the waste. Put it inside the garbage can as well, so the rats can't feed off of it. 

  • Distributing cat food for feral cats will also increase the rat population.



Emergency tree trimming is performed when branches interfere with electrical lines.  If you see this, call 911.

The City trims trees planted on the parkway (area between sidewalk and curb) on a first-come-first-served basis to 311 requests. When requesting this type of service it is important to indicate why you feel the tree needs to be trimmed (i.e. it's shading the street lights, trim dead branches, trim low branches over the sidewalk or street, clear branches away from the roof or windows of the house etc.). Call 311 or submit this request on-line by entering "tree trim" in the search box.

If you've trimmed your trees and bushes, the city can dispose of this debris.  Neatly pile branches neatly on the parkway or your alley.  Call 311 or click here to make this request.

Emerald Ash Borer has come to the 26th Ward.  Inspect your trees for damage. Call 311 or our office to heal your tree.


Property owners must maintain their grounds, even though the parkway (area between the sidewalk and street) is owned by the City.

Use the Sanitation Code Violation to report trash lingering on private property, the alley, gangway or parkway.  You can even report lawns that need mowing.   If you can leave your name and phone number, the inspectors sometimes want to contact the complainant as part of issuing a citation.


If a car or motorcycle has been parked in the same spot for 30 days or more, its probably been abandoned.  Take down the license plate, make and model of the car.  Then call 311, our office or report it on-line.

A vehicle can be classified as abandoned if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

  • On a public way in a state of disrepair as to be incapable of being driven in its present condition.

  • Has not been moved or used for more than seven consecutive days and is apparently deserted.

  • Has been left on the public way without state registration or a temporary state registration placard for two or more days.

  • Is a hazardous dilapidated vehicle left in full view of the general public, whether on public or private property.

The abandoned vehicles are taken to auto pound 3S or 3N where they are -- if not redeemed by the owners -- sold for scrap. Please call 311 to locate your car.


Potholes are typically irregularly shaped pavement holes. Call 311 or report it on-line.

If the problem appears to be a utility cut (usually a square cut for water or sewer repairs) or a sinkhole (usually a dip in the pavement or a void, often near a manhole or catch basin), please call 311 directly.


Streets are designed to drain water approximately 4 hours after a rain storm ends. 
Report standing water by entering the address of the location and the location of the water (middle of street, curb line, alley etc.).

Sometimes water seeps into basements, crawl spaces or puddles at ground level.
Report water in basement by entering the address, whether the water is dirty or clean, where the water is coming from (floor drain, toilet, shower etc.), and how many inches of water have backed up.

Do not use this service type to report water that has entered your basement through the windows.

bottom of page