top of page

Need a Permit?

​Our office is here to assist with your permit, zoning or parking needs.  First, please verify you live in the 26th Ward.

Below are the most common permits. These answers explain how, when, and what you need to apply. For zoning issues, please visit the Alderman on Ward Night, schedule a meeting or call our office directly at 773-395-0143.

  • Disabled Parking

  • Truck Parking

  • Residential Parking Permits

  • City Sticker

  • Guest Parking Passes

  • Block Party Permits

  • Parades or Marches

  • Garage Sales


You must come into the office anytime between 9am and 5pm, Monday through Friday. The application you fill out is uniquely ordered with a permit number that will eventually appear on your sign, as you can see in this photo.
Allow a 3 month period to receive your permanent sign.

Please bring:

  1. disabled parking placard or disabled license plate.  These are available from the Secretary of State.

  2. proof of residency (current lease or current utility bill; a driver's license with your current address is valid for both an ID and proof of residency)

  3. $70 in check or money order for initial installation. After that, the yearly fee is $25. (This is waived if you are a disabled veteran or meet Senior Citizens and Disabled Persons Property Tax Relief requirement.)

The Alderman will then submit a special ordinance to approve your disabled parking request at the following city council meeting.  This will take approximately one month. After that, your permanent sign will be installed in approximately one month.
Disabled Parking Sign Removal
If the applicant moves, becomes deceased or is no longer a person with a disability, notice must be provided to the Department of Revenue. All requests for sign removal should be submitted to our Ward office or the Department of Revenue.


Pickup trucks and vans--even if they weigh less than 4,500 lbs--are not permitted to park on residential streets without a special Residential Pickup Truck or Van Permit. Truck permits are free.

Truck permits, such as the one shown on the right,  must be displayed each year by July 16. This permit must be displayed in addition to a valid 2014 Chicago City Vehicle Sticker.

Please verify that you live in the 26th Ward. If so, then you must come into the office with:

  1. no outstanding parking violations

  2. proof of current City Sticker

  3. proof of residency (current lease or current utility bill; a driver's license with your current address is valid for both an ID and proof of residency)

  4.  proof of your VIN number

You'll receive your truck permit immediately.

A $75.00 ticket can be issued to any pickup truck or van on a residential street if a permit is not displayed. WARNING: This ticket can be issued to visitors of the City of Chicago as well as residents.


Parking in a specially designated areas requires a valid Chicago city sticker with a 2, 3, or 4 digit Residential Zone Parking number included. When you purchase your new city sticker, the zoned parking will be included and you will be charged $25.  Or, you could use a Chicago Residential Parking Daily Permit.

The numbers on the city sticker or daily permit must match the number on the sign.

Have you moved onto a Residential Parking street?

Check to confirm your street is already zoned RPP. In most instances,the cost to update your city sticker will be prorated at $2.08 per month. If you have a city sticker without the zoned parking digits, you must bring it to a service center and receive a new one.  You must bring:

  1. Your current Chicago City Vehicle Sticker Renewal Form OR your State Vehicle Registration ID Card, both of which include your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) license plate, and license plate expiration date.

  2. Proof of residency (current lease or current utility bill; a driver's license with your current address is valid for both an ID and proof of residency).

  3. You can buy a Residential Parking Permit at the Office of the City Clerk.

Do you want to designate Residential Parking on your street?
If you want to zone your block for RPP, you must gain neighborhood support. Follow these steps: 

  1. Print this petition.

  2. Collect at least 70% of your neighbor's signatures.

  3. Make a copy of your ID showing your address on the block, or just come into the office with your signed petition.

  4. Fax these 2 completed documents  to 773-395-0146.

  5. Then call our office to confirm we have received it.


All vehicles need city stickers, regardless of where the vehicle is registered. Otherwise, vehicle owners risk a $200.00 ticket and additional fees. Sales are year-round, so your expiration month and year is printed on your sticker. Motorcycles and mopeds are no exception.  In 2019, Chicago will create a four-month city sticker, restore a 15-day grace period, offer a month-long amnesty and re-examine “exorbitant” penalties to ease the burden on 500,000 delinquent motorists.

Do you have a new vehicle or did you just move to Chicago?
You have 30 days from the date you purchased your vehicle (or, if received as a gift, the date you received your vehicle) to purchase and display a Vehicle Sticker. If you just moved to Chicago, you have 30 days from your move-in date to purchase and display a Chicago City Vehicle Sticker. If you have out-of-state plates, visit the City Clerk’s office to purchase your sticker.

You may purchase City Stickers at the following locations:
• City Clerk’s Office at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle, Room 107
•  On line
• in Satellite Offices*
• Or return the renewal application via mail

*Please be aware that there may be a convenience fee associated with purchasing stickers at a currency exchange location. Currency exchanges can only process orders for vehicles with in-state license plates.

Daily passes are for guests of those living in a residential parking zone. Be certain to write the date, time and zone number on these permits in ink. Display it on the lower passenger side corner of the windshield. The pass is valid for 24 hours.

Daily passes are $8 for a set of 15. Residents living in a zoned parking area can purchase up to 30 daily passes every 30 days. Daily passes expire on June 30th each year.

The City Clerk's office sells daily guest parking passes on-line.  You'll receive them in 14 days. If you need them immediately, come into the office.  Please bring:

  1. photo ID

  2. proof of residency (current lease or current utility bill; a driver's license with your current address is valid for both an ID and proof of residency)


Block Party Permits are free. Apply for your permit at least 1-2 months before the date of your block party.

Jumping Jack and inflatable Moonwalks (shown on the right at the 1500 block of North Karlov) must be applied for in the 1st quarter of each year.

  1. If your block has never had a party, gather signatures from your neighbors on this Block Party Petition. 

  2. Print the Block Party Application and fill it out. 

  3. make a copy of your ID showing your address on the block.

  4. fax these 3 completed documents to 773-395-0146.

  5. then call our office to confirm we have received it. 

Actions that make a successful block party:

  • Remind your neighbors that you will be hosting the block party before the date, so they may plan accordingly, especially in regards to parking.

  • Remember to keep your noise to a minimum and comply with the City Noise Ordinance.

  • The city does not provide barricades for block parties.

  • You are responsible for cleaning up after your party.

Jumping Jacks and Inflatable MoonWalks

The Mayors Office on Special Events provides a limited number of Jumping Jacks or inflatable moonwalks to residents to use for block parties.  If you have any questions regarding the Jumping Jacks contact the Mayor's Office of Special Events at (312) 744-3315 or visit Room 703 at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle.

Jumping jacks are distributed on a first serve basis and will be available for use between May 26th - Sept. 4th. Our office will carry a limited amount of applications that will be mailed to the Mayors Office of Special Events for approval.

Special Events 

If you are planning a special event, please give us a call as requirements can vary with the size and scope of the event. For more information visit the Mayor's Office of Special Events.

Neighborhood parades and marches require a Parade Permit.  Follow these steps:

  1. Print the Parade Permit Application. Submit this completed application at least 15 days before your scheduled parade.

  2. Write a check payable to the "City of Chicago" for $35.

  3. Mail or submit both to the Department of Transportation, City of Chicago, 121 N. LaSalle, Room 905 Chicago, IL, 60602.

  4. Call the Dept. of Transportation, at 312-744-4691 to notify them your application has been submitted.

Most small parades or marches will not require any additional city services such as blocking streets or diverting traffic.  If your parade does require this support, follow the above steps. Then contact the Office of Special Events at 312-744-0626.  A full-service Special Events package is available here.


Garage sale permits are free. Plan to apply for your permit 7-10 days before your sale.  However, most permits are approved within 7 days. Follow these steps.

  1. Print the Garage Sale Application and fill it out.

  2. Make a copy of your ID showing the address of the sale.

  3. Fax these 2 documents to 773-395-0146.

  4. Then call our office to notify us that you submitted this application.

bottom of page